Whether you’re a skincare enthusiast with a ten-step routine or a minimalist who uses a simple face wash before bedtime, chances are you have some type of personalized skin care regimen.
Having a skin care routine that works for you can even help you find focus before a slew of morning Zoom meetings or wind down after a long day before you get some rest. And better yet, you can create a skin care routine that can help to prevent signs of aging, dark spots, and texture. While skin aging is normal, you can still implement an anti aging routine to preserve the look of your skin.
In this guide, we’re going to focus on the latter—achieving a lifetime of vibrant-looking skin. That said, a variety of factors can contribute to dull skin, including sun exposure and your skin type. Luckily, an anti aging skin care routine filled with clean ingredients can help to visibly rejuvenate your skin.
What's the Best Anti Aging Skin Care Routine for My Skin Type?
Let’s get the obvious out of the way: there’s no single anti aging skin care routine that will work for everyone. When cultivating your skin care regime, it’s essential that you take your skin type into account to find anti aging skincare products that will work for you and show results.
Below, we’re going to look at different skin care routine steps for two of the most common skin types: oily skin and combination skin. But first, let’s quickly highlight the unique characteristics of both profiles.
If you have oily skin, this simply means that your face produces excessive sebum, an oil that your body produces naturally. However, too much sebum can make your skin look shiny in the T-zone of your face, which includes your forehead, nose, and chin.
Too much sebum on your face can also lead to blemishes, enlarged-looking pores or redness.
That being said, those with oily skin should avoid an excessive build-up of moisture with heavy creams or serums.
Those with a combination skin type may experience a mix of oily and dry skin. At first glance, combination skin can seem like a unique challenge that requires different solutions for different parts of your face. Fortunately, if you have combination skin, you can improve your complexion by finding a balance of different products to address your skin’s varied needs.
If you’re not sure about your skin type, we recommend hopping over to our skin quiz to quickly determine your unique needs.
Anti Aging Skincare Routine for Oily Skin
There’s positive news for people with oily skin when it comes to aging: a little excess oil can be an advantage. That’s because sebum can act as a protective layer for the skin barrier against environmental pollutants.
Still, those with oilier skin may benefit from a tailored approach to anti aging skin care products to avoid clogged pores that turn into blemishes.
To put the brakes on the effects of aging, try adding the following steps to your morning and nighttime routines:
- Step 1 – Cleanse at least once per day. This is a good step to include as part of your morning and nighttime routines, but we do have one word of caution: don’t overdo it. If you have oily skin, you know how tempting it is to want to wash your face multiple times a day. This can be a mistake, however, as it may lead to dryness and can strip moisture from your face. Instead, reach for a soothing cleanser that helps draws out impurities.
- Step 2 – Apply a lightweight anti aging serum like our Keep Young And Beautiful™ Firming And Smoothing Serum or a niacinamide-containing serum like our Bio Retinoid™ Youth Serum to help reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Niacinamides are a form of B-3 vitamin that help to visibly firm and rehydrate your face for plumper-looking skin. Apply morning and night for best results.
- Step 3 – As part of your nighttime routine, warm up a few droplets of our Bio Retinoid™ Youth Concentrate Oil and apply them over the face and neck. It includes sea buckthorn oil, which helps to prevent dehydration that occurs while you sleep, and rosehip oil, which is lightweight enough for oily skin types while still supporting the maintenance of a strong moisture barrier. Hyaluronic acid is also a great ingredient to incorporate as it can help to keep your skin barrier looking moisturized and supple.
- Step 4 – Before bed, moisturize the skin around your eyes by applying our Radiance Brightening Dark Circle Eye Cream. This cream contains elderberry flower extract and antioxidants that help to reduce the look of puffiness in the eye area.
Remember, the key to an effective anti aging routine for oily skin types is knowing how to keep hydration locked in without adding too much product to your skin. Play around with the ingredients mentioned above until you reach a balance your skin loves.
Anti Aging Skincare Routine for Combination Skin
The trick to managing skin that’s both oily and dry is in seeking out gentle, clean products that don’t add excess oil to the part of your face where sebum is accumulating. You’ll also want to make sure your skin care doesn’t cause any visible redness in areas that need more hydration.
If you have combination skin, try adding the following steps to your morning and nighttime routines to curb visible signs of aging:
- Step 1 – Find a cleanser that hydrates the dry parts of your face but doesn’t contain any heavy ingredients that might add oliiness at the surface. Remember, dehydrated skin can cause your skin to appear duller, so finding the balance here is key. You may need to experiment a bit to land on the right cleanser for you.
- Step 2 – As part of your morning routine, use a moisturizer infused with vitamin C (like our Glow Daily Vitamin C Gel Cream Moisturizer) for a dose of antioxidants that will leave your complexion looking more radiant than before. This cream contains glycogen, which locks in moisture, and it’s also lightweight enough to be used on both the oily and dry parts of your face.
Step 3 – After applying that moisturizer, layer up on the SPF. Find a sunscreen with at least 30 SPF that is formulated specifically for the face. We don’t really recommend leaving the house without completing this step, which will protect you in the long term and also keep you from getting a sunburn. For a sunscreen that rejuvenates as much as it protects, look to our Clean Screen Mineral SPF 30 Mattifying Face Sunscreen. Besides, the benefits of sunscreen not only help protect against sun damage but also against the signs of premature ageing that might be triggered by UV rays.
- Step 4 – At nighttime, skip the SPF and instead, renew your skin with our Bio Retinoid™ Youth Serum, which contains ingredients that smooth, and hydrate your skin, such as sunflower seed oil, carrot root extract, and shea butter. Simply apply it to your cleansed face before bed and gently massage it into your face and neck until it’s fully absorbed.
How to Get the Most Out of Your Skin Care Routine
It's important to analyze your routine when trying to find the best anti aging ingredients or just skin care products for you. If you’re already using a variety of products in an effort to rejuvenate the appearance of your skin, it may be a good idea to proceed carefully when adding additional topicals to your morning and evening routines to avoid skin irritation.
Additionally, when navigating all of the cleansers, serums, moisturizers, and creams on the shelves, it’s essential to pay close attention to each product’s ingredients to find products that are suitable for your skin.
In general, you’ll want to find products that include clean ingredients, such as plant-derived oils and extracts.
Then, curate your routine around your specific skin care needs. If you’re looking to improve your complexion or reduce roughness, indulge in a hydrating moisturizer or two.
Renew Your Skin with REN Clean Skincare
Whether you have oily or combination skin, the best anti aging skin care routine is one that you can feel good about putting on your skin. Opt for moisturizers, serums, creams, and oils that replenish your skin without bogging it down with pore-clogging ingredients.
And for those with more sensitive skin, look to REN.
We offer a variety of face and body skin care products made with sustainable, clean, and bioactive ingredients that energize and nourish your skin. A natural anti aging skin care routine works with your skin to meet its needs, with ingredients like aloe vera, ceramides, elderberry, and rosehip.
If you’re still unsure how to craft the perfect anti aging skin care routine that meets your unique needs, talk to our licensed esthetician over text. They can guide you through your skin type, help you discover skin-boosting ingredients, and make personalized recommendations.
Leave fine lines in the past with REN Clean Skincare.
About the Author:
Camille Poggi is a doctor in Pharmacy (PharmD.) and is passionate about skincare and how the skin works in general. She specializes in the cosmetic industry and worked for renowned companies in France like L’Oréal and Chanel before moving to London. After being a training manager for 4 years, Camille is at ease with explaining how products work in the skin and how to adapt her speech according to the audience.
She joined REN in January 2020 as International Training Manager and moved to the Research & Development team earlier this year to be the new Scientific Education Manager. A tailored-made role where she assesses and leads all technical communication and ensures scientific compliance is always met. She’s also involved in new product development from the earliest stages. Finding a way to create sustainable skincare products and making sure the message is properly delivered and understood is definitely a big challenge but also her favorite part working for REN.
- Healthline. Does Having Oily Skin Mean I’ll Get Less Wrinkles?. https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/oily-skin-aging
- American Academy of Dermatology. Sunscreen FAQS. https://www.aad.org/media/stats-sunscreen
- Bustle. 7 Awesome Benefits To Having Oily Skin. https://www.bustle.com/articles/79191-7-benefits-of-having-oily-skin-even-if-it-sometimes-feels-like-your-face-is-melting