How to Use a Face Mask for Glowing Skin
Waking up with a dewy, fresh complexion is one of life’s great pleasures—and if you’re looking to add that extra brightness to your skin, sunshine and beauty sleep alone might not be enough.
For a fabulous glow, turn to a face mask skin care routine, a tried-and-true secret to looking as radiant as you feel.
When it comes to applying your favorite moisture-infusing facial masks, it’s best to adopt a routine to ensure your skin soaks up each of its ingredients. In this guide, we’ll walk you through how to use face mask products, detail the various types of face masks, when to use them, and tips and tricks to get the most out of your mask.
Face Masks 101
The world of facial masks is incredibly varied, and finding the best face masks for skin care ultimately depends on you. Choosing a mask that meets your needs is the first step to getting the most out of your skincare routine.
Examples of different properties you may want to look for include:
- A soothing mask – Useful if your skin shows redness after a day outdoors
- A hydrating mask – Perfect for when the seasons are changing or if you’re living in a drier climate
An exfoliating mask – Effective in achieving and maintaining smoother-looking skin
Masks also come in the following formula types:
Creams, serums, and gels – These nutrient-filled masks often come in a bottle or jar. They’re the perfect go-to option, a seamless step in your skincare routine. The rule of thumb is to use these masks two or three times a week to reap the benefits of face masks without drying your skin out from excessive use.1 Our Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask is the perfect exfoliating gel mask. With a blend of Glycolic, Lactic, Citric and Tartaric Acid, this mask gently exfoliates while reducing the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
Clay masks – Aptly named, these masks’ main ingredient is clay, a tougher material effective against external impurities such as dirt and oil.2 Because of their exfoliating properties, overuse can result in dry skin. Stick to once a week for clearer-looking skin.3
When to Use a Face Mask
Face masks are incredibly versatile and perfect for a variety of occasions, from relaxing night-ins to pre-wedding soirees. And reading the instructions for your face mask use is key to understanding when to break it out and how much time to budget.
That being said, consider the following examples for some ideas of how to incorporate masks into your skincare routine:
- Use your serum-based mask an overnight mask to give it time to soak into your skin without any interruptions
Save that extra special soothing mask for a relaxing spa night with friends or a solo night in
But, how often should you do a face mask? Typically face masks should be used once a week to provide your skin with nutrients and prevent any irritation from over-usage.
Your Step-by-Step Guide to Face Masks
The perfect face mask routine starts before you untwist the jar or open the package. To ensure that your skin is getting all of the nourishment it needs, start your routine with the following:
- Read the fine print on your jar or package for any special instructions.
- Clean your face thoroughly to remove sweat, dirt, and oil from the day.4
- Gently dry your face and apply the mask. With the exception of an overnight mask, twenty minutes is around the maximum length of time you should keep a mask on your face.5
Finish off with a moisturizer to help lock in moisture and hydrate your skin1
Best Face Mask Practices
When it comes to how to use a face mask, the details are key. Consider these tips and tricks to flawlessly execute your face mask skincare routine:
Give yourself enough time – Just as you don’t want to leave face masks on for too long, be cautious of taking them off too quickly. Set aside enough time for the mask to do its job. If you only have five minutes to wash your face in the morning, save the mask for later.
Be gentle – When applying your mask, blend it into your skin gently. Our Evercalm Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask is the perfect, gentle mask to help hydrate, calm, soothe, and moisturize the spots that need it the most
REN Skincare: Clean, Gentle Ingredients for Your Skincare Needs
Adding a face mask to your skincare routine can help to hydrate your skin and lock in a radiant glow. REN Skincare products are a gentle solution to your unique skincare needs. Treat yourself to our clean, environmentally friendly products and find the perfect match today.
About the Author:
Camille Poggi is a doctor in Pharmacy (PharmD.) and is passionate about skincare and how the skin works in general. She specializes in the cosmetic industry and worked for renowned companies in France like L’Oréal and Chanel before moving to London. After being a training manager for 4 years, Camille is at ease with explaining how products work in the skin and how to adapt her speech according to the audience.
She joined REN in January 2020 as International Training Manager and moved to the Research & Development team earlier this year to be the new Scientific Education Manager. A tailored-made role where she assesses and leads all technical communication and ensures scientific compliance is always met. She’s also involved in new product development from the earliest stages. Finding a way to create sustainable skincare products and making sure the message is properly delivered and understood is definitely a big challenge but also her favorite part working for REN.
- Pop Sugar. This Is How Many Times You Can Do a Face Mask Per Week, According to an Expert. https://www.popsugar.com/beauty/how-often-face-masks-47391893
- Very Well Health. What Is a Clay Mask? https://www.verywellhealth.com/clay-mask-5089225
- Healthline. This Is How Often You Should Use a Face Mask in Your Skin Care Routine. https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/how-often-should-you-use-a-face-mask
- Teen Vogue. How to Apply Face Masks Properly: 8 Tips To Smooth Skin. https://www.teenvogue.com/story/how-to-use-a-face-mask-dermatologist-tips
- Healthline. How to Apply a Face Mask Correctly. https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/how-to-apply-a-face-mask-correctly
- Refinery29. The Big Mistake You’re Making In Your Skincare Routine. https://www.refinery29.com/en-gb/face-mask-frequency
- Well + Good. The Results Are in: There *Is* a Right Time of Day to Face Mask. https://www.wellandgood.com/the-results-are-in-there-is-a-right-time-of-day-to-face-mask/